About the IELTS test
IELTS, the International English Language Testing System, is designed to assess the language ability of people who need to study or work where English is the language of communication. IELTS is the world’s most popular high stakes English language test and over 2 million tests were taken around the world in the past 12 months. Wherever you are in the world and wherever you want to go, an IELTS result can help you get there.
7 reasons why IELTS is No. 1
- Accepted - IELTS results are requested by universities and employers in many countries, including the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland. IELTS results are also requested by professional bodies, immigration authorities and other government agencies in the Middle East and across the world. IELTS is recognised by more than 9000 institutions over 135 countries. Click here to see who accepts IELTS.
- Available – up to 48 test dates per year at over 900 test locations worldwide.
- Fair – the test that gives you a better chance to do your best. Take your speaking test one-to-one with an examiner. No computers, no interruptions.
- Fast – total IELTS test time is under 3 hours and you get your IELTS results after just 13 days.
- Respected – IELTS is co-owned and was co-created by a global partnership of education and language experts: the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL).
- Relevant – Preparing for IELTS helps you improve the language skills you will need to succeed in your studies and work overseas.
- International – IELTS accepts British and American spellings and includes questions that are fair to everyone.